Elon Musk said that he put his Twitter deal on hold as he is waiting for confirmation of calculations from the platform that spam and fake accounts represent less than 5% of users. He clarified that this does not mean that he is no longer interested in buying the social network.
Last week, Twitter said in a report that they estimated that fake and spam accounts made up less than 5% of its monetizable daily active users during the first quarter. This caused distrust not only among many Twitter users who encounter dozens of such accounts daily, but also Elon Musk, who intends to buy the platform. Anyone can go to the replies of his tweets and see a lot of spam and fake accounts there, which in particular promote cryptocurrencies.
Musk tweeted on Friday that his deal with Twitter is “temporarily on hold” as he waits for the platform to provide details on the share of spam and fake accounts. However, he made it clear that the pause does not mean that he has lost interest in the deal, stressing that “Still committed to acquisition.”
According to information from Reuters, Twitter is not planning any immediate action on Musk's comment, people familiar with the matter said. The sources added that the company is unhappy with his statement. However, Musk simply voiced his doubts by exercising his right to free speech.
Spam and fake accounts are designed to manipulate or artificially increase activity, and can also be used to promote a variety of, including fake, information. Such accounts have a negative impact on the experience of using the platform, as well as the ability to express yourself freely. For example, fake accounts can engage in targeted harassment or bullying, causing a real person to stop speaking their mind in an effort to avoid it.
Eva Fox joined Tesmanian in 2019 to cover breaking news as an automotive journalist. The main topics that she covers are clean energy and electric vehicles. As a journalist, Eva is specialized in Tesla and topics related to the work and development of the company.