Tesla Sentry Mode has helped the police in Munich catch criminals. This is not the first time this Tesla function has become useful for solving crimes.
Tesla Sentry Mode was designed as a safety feature for the manufacturer's vehicles while parked. Its cars can continuously monitor their surroundings in order to react if some kind of event occurs. Although the feature is sometimes criticized, it has repeatedly proven its usefulness in helping solve crimes and catch criminals.
In Germany, Sentry Mode has faced increased negative scrutiny, but a recent case from Munich has shown Germans that surrounding recordings from a car’s security cameras can also help police investigations when sorely needed. The police of the Bavarian capital, for the first time in history, received photographs of suspects in a criminal offense, which were taken from a parked Tesla.
The criminals robbed an apartment in Munich and left the crime scene. When they passed a Tesla car parked outside the building, Sentry Mode went off and recorded them, which was confirmed by the local police department. At the moment, it is not disclosed exactly how the relevant records fell into the hands of the police, as the investigation into the case continues.
In the past, Sentry Mode has often helped solve crimes related to car vandalism, both in relation to Tesla cars and in cases of mass vandalism of cars parked on the street. Now its benefits have become even more tangible.
While in Sentry Mode, Tesla vehicles may shift through three states as a response to its surroundings—Standby, Alert, and Alarm:
Standby. A vehicle is automatically “on standby” when you activate Sentry Mode. The cameras constantly monitor the surrounding area for possible security threats.
Alert. If Sentry Mode detects a possible threat, such as someone very close to, or leaning on, a vehicle, Sentry Mode switches to the Alert state, where:
- Headlights briefly flicker.
- The touchscreen displays a message indicating that cameras are recording.
- Sentry Mode saves the most recent 10 minutes of footage prior to the triggered event to the USB flash drive (if available and installed).
Alarm. For major threats, Sentry Mode:
- Activates the security alarm and the audio system generates a loud and unexpected sound.
- Sends an alert to the mobile app on phones that are paired to the vehicle to inform you that the alarm state is triggered.
- Saves the most recent 10 minutes of footage prior to the triggered event to the USB flash drive (if available and installed).
- Returns to the Standby state after 30 seconds.
© 2022, Eva Fox | Tesmanian. All rights reserved.
We appreciate your readership! Please share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Article edited by @SmokeyShorts, you can follow him on Twitter
About the Author
Eva Fox joined Tesmanian in 2019 to cover breaking news as an automotive journalist. The main topics that she covers are clean energy and electric vehicles. As a journalist, Eva is specialized in Tesla and topics related to the work and development of the company.