Photo courtesy of Tesla, Inc.
Stability, maneuverability, easy entry into tight turns with high agility, are excellent characteristics for a car. To achieve all these parameters, Tesla Cybertruck will receive 4-wheel steering, says Elon Musk.
Despite its huge size and angular design, Tesla Cybertruck will be an extremely versatile vehicle. It will behave perfectly both on city streets, highways, and off-road. With superior components in its design, the pickup truck is able to significantly outperform its competitors in the segment and beyond. And as if it wasn’t incredible enough already, Cybertruck will feature even more great things that have yet to be revealed.
Elon Musk tweeted about one of the new things that add a few more points to Cybertruck's coolness factor. According to him, the pickup truck will have 4-wheel steering, for tight turns, to maneuver with high agility.
Friday afternoons are usually Tesla design studio time. Cybertruck will be almost exactly what was shown. We’re adding rear wheel steering, so it can do tight turns & maneuver with high agility.— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) July 3, 2021
Lot of other great things coming.
4-wheel steering technology has long been used in sports cars to make the vehicle as dynamic as possible. When steering with all four wheels, the rear wheels are mainly used to increase the maneuverability and stability of the vehicle, depending on the speed and steering angle. The idea is that when the driver turns the steering wheel, the rear wheels also turn slightly, with the small steering angle at the rear being the result of a relationship with the angle initiated from the front.
These systems turn the wheels depending on the speed of the vehicle. For example, at low speeds, the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction to the front wheels. This allows the vehicle to reduce its turning radius, by simulating the wheelbase decreasing in length. At the same time, at high speed, the rear wheels turn slightly in the same direction as the front wheels. This makes the car more stable when cornering at high speed by distributing the cornering forces that are normally transmitted to the front wheels.
The main advantages of the 4-wheel steering technology (source Oards.com):
- A smaller turning radius: A four-wheel steering system allows the vehicle to turn tighter in parking situations or in U-turns.
- More stability: Four-wheel steering allow for more control at higher speeds as it makes the vehicle easier to control.
- Better steering response: With all four wheels responding to your steering commands, a vehicle with four-wheel steering will feel much more responsive when the driver turns the wheel.
- Faster lane changes: When all four wheels are turning in the same direction, the vehicle will change lanes much quicker.
- More safety: A stable car is a safer car. Four-wheel steering can reduce a vehicle's body roll, which could mean the difference between losing control going into a corner and getting into an accident, or not.
At the moment, Musk has already revealed a number of eye-popping details about Cybertruck and their number continue to grow. Tesla's pickup truck is already the most coveted vehicle in the world, with around one million pre-orders, but Musk seems set to attract even more.
© 2021, Eva Fox. All rights reserved.
We appreciate your readership! Please share your thoughts in the comment section below.
About the Author
Eva Fox joined Tesmanian in 2019 to cover breaking news as an automotive journalist. The main topics that she covers are clean energy and electric vehicles. As a journalist, Eva is specialized in Tesla and topics related to the work and development of the company.