Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 Took on Tesla Model Y, & the EV Said: Why Bother?

Mercedes-AMG GLS 63 Took on Tesla Model Y, & the EV Said: Why Bother?

The notion that all vehicles that aren't propelled by an internal combustion engine (ICE) are weak, slow, and just drab to drive, has been crushed by drag racing videos of models S, 3, and X, respectively.

People that are slow to jump on the EV bandwagon throw these ICE terms around, such as turbos, superchargers, and a myriad of special items like intake manifolds, exhaust tweaks, camshafts, transmissions, etc. to show the superiority of an ICE vehicle over an EV. Of course, a quick search on YouTube shows how far they truly are from the truth.

Without digging too deep into the world of dino-juice propelled vehicles, one fact should be enough to show the advantage of EV over ICE:

Internal combustion engines use only 20% of its energy consumption on propulsion, while the remainder—the glaring 80%—is spent on sound and heat that isn't used. This is not counting the transmission's friction cost. Conversely, an electric motor can be as efficient as 75%, with its torque being available on-demand, without a need for a transmission.

As if the instant torque of an electric motor isn't enough of an advantage, Tesla vehicles are available as 'performance' versions.

This gave birth to countless drag racing videos where outcomes are downright comical, like the one below where an unassuming Model X is towing an Alfa Romeo supercar while racing yet another Alfa Romeo supercar.



Model X performance’s prowess has been shown off quite a bit, since it’s a platform that has been around for some time. However, its price keeps the vehicle caught in dreamland for a significant segment of buyers.

Enter model Y. 



While it's missing the gullwing doors, it can still seat 7 passengers (7-seat production slated to begin 2021). And Model Y sports an almost $40,000 lower price tag.

But can it deliver a punch on the dragstrip?

A father-and-son team took it upon themselves to test Model Y at the dragstrip. To keep the test consistent and fair, they brought the wordy 'Mercedes AMG GLS 63' along as a competitor.

I won't spoil the fun of the results. Enjoy the video for yourself:


The statistics show something missing among the model Y details which was pointed out during the video.

Namely, the horsepower measuring unit. It seems obvious that Tesla is ready to abolish the use of the archaic measuring unit adopted by James Watt, as a way to introduce the new technology at the time. Maybe Tesla will create another way to measure their vehicle's performance. Something like 1.5 AMGs, perhaps?

Article edited by @SmokeyShorts, you can follow him on Twitter

About the Author

Tom Simic

Tom Simic

Follow me on X

Reading next

Tesla Giga Shanghai Model 3 Will Soon Come from Factory with 'Full Chrome Delete'
Tesla China Expands Store Manager Hiring in 24 Cities as Demand Skyrockets

Tesla Accessories